Tuesday, October 4, 2011

PD on Your Own: Part One - Blogs



On Monday, October 10th, I will be doing a presentation at the MOREnet Instructional Technology Conference (MITC) entitled "PD On Your Own". In preparation for my presentation, I will be blogging about different pieces of my presentation. Today, we will take a look at how to use blogs for your own professional development.

I am an avid blog reader and I collect many of my ideas, resources, and technology integration strategies from the blogs I read. To keep up with the 20 or so blogs I read daily, I enlist the help of Google Reader. With my Google Reader, I always have an up to date look at what blog posts are new to me. Instead of visiting all these different web sites, their content is aggregated for me. Not sure what I am talking about, check out "Google Reader in Plain English".




For iPad users, you can view all your blogs in one place with the FlipBoard app. Flipboard allows you to customize the news feeds (blogs, Twitter, Facebook) you want to view. It puts them into a book format that you can flip through. Click HERE to see Flipboard in action. I have only been using Flipboard for a few weeks but I really like it. It allows be to peruse through a bunch of information and then pick the content that I want to investigate further. I especially enjoy Flipboard for Twitter...but I will talk about that at a later time.

You may be asking: "How do I even start"?
1. Sign up for a free Google Reader account.
2. Find one blog to follow by doing a Google search or visit my website for a list of the blogs I read.
3. Start small and then expand your blogging horizons as you take your journey of PD on your own.

This is technology that actually works!

No comments:

Post a Comment